View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Well I haven't driven this car much, and am still horsing around with it. I have some of the body panels polished, but others aren't so it looks ghetto two tone ha ha. I finally insured it though, so I will be driving and working on it more. I decided to replace the leaking valve cover gasket, and check the spark plugs while I was at it today. And this folks, is why no matter what the previous owner tells you was just done to a car when you buy it, or what you figure must have been done recently, you should always check the spark plugs!

This car actually ran without misfiring. All four plugs were as bad as the one in this pic or worse. My crappy phone camera doesn't zoom in any better, but the electrodes were actually all uneven and worn on weird angles. Left side is correct .040" gap, the ones in it were worn too big to measure with any of the feeler gauges I had lol. It sure starts a lot smoother now, not surprisingly, and pulls waaaay smoother away from a stop light. But like I said, it actually ran ok, so if you didn't check you wouldn't think they were this fried. Oh, and one was hardly finger tight, I didn't even need to put the ratchet onto the socket and extension to get it out. Plus they were Champion plugs?? Who puts anything other than NGK in a Honda?? This guy's mechanic must of disliked him or something ha ha.