View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
coyoteX
EcoModding Lurker

Tadpole - '89 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 60.33 mpg (US)
OK, I finally figured out how to put photos in an album. You can go there to see the Tadpole. These cars were so well designed they are tough to improve on. The boat tail really did nothing but draw unwanted attention with no real world benefits. The original grille block installed did reduce excess air from building up under the car and improved handling in cross winds though. The new nose and diffuser under the rear, made a very noticeable difference in handling, in all wind and speed conditions. The exhaust system has been streamlined, mainly by removing the rear low hanging muffler and installing a dual tube glasspack inline behind the cat. When you look in the rear wheel well, on this body style Honda, you will notice that the rear bumper cover is open to catch air at the bottom. I made little close outs from ABS to fill that void. All newer cars have air strakes to create turbulence in front of the tires. The leading edge of the front tires create as much or more drag than the mirrors do. I made strakes out of ABS for front and rear tires. I removed the rear because the angle I made in them kicked the air sideways too much. This was noted by driving close to a grocery bag and it moved violently sideways as the rear tire passed. Watching light snow dust in the mirrors also helps visualize the air movement as you are driving. Without the rear tire strakes this no longer happens. When I drive like most people fuel consumption seems to be close to the EPA. When I drive consciously, I can see around 17% improvement. With the aero mods there is up to another 10% improvement over that. Its mostly in how we use the right foot.