View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

engine size/power for 'pulse/glide'

Something I was curious about even though it may not apply to my current research topics (as constant state driving be more common for me due to tight traffic/during busier hours in extended urban settings)... is it entirely likely that a larger engine could pull the same MPG in the real world as a smaller one under pulse/glide conditions, since it would be understressed and accelerate up to speed faster? Like maybe a Ninja 650 would get the same mileage as a Ninja 250?

I imagine some of the overstressed smaller engines would struggle afterall, I guess i'm curious if there's some formula about things like what speed range to P/G (like 40mph to 75mph?), how long it should take for best total efficiency, and other things. It may be the 250 ninja engine is adequate, but other less powerful 250cc's in the 22hp or less range like some of the v-twins would be overworked trying to pulse up to any reasonable speed. Or it could be fine going from 40-55mph, but nothing more. Or etc... has anyone worked it out to a science yet? I'm aware you can p/g anything, but what would give the best fuel mileage for extended travel if you designed around it?