View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Hi Niel,

So the initial prototype will have a hybrid layout similar to what you would find in the Honda Insights. In other words it has the engine flywheel replaced with the electric motor.

So it looks like this = Diesel Engine-Electric Motor-CVT-GL1800 drive shaft and final drive ratio.

This set up works better in the urban environment where I am located than the series hybrid designs. This set up also costs less than the series architecture. However this vehicle platform could easily support a series hybrid design as well and would be easier to set up actually since the diesel engine and electric motor could be completely independent. It would just cost more money since you would need an added motor/controller and larger battery bank.

Since the diesel engine and electric motor are on the same shaft they can be used in tandem or separately to propel the vehicle. The electric motor has the ability to start the diesel so no need for a separate starter or alternator or extra electric motor/controller. You also have the ability for regenerative braking as well as plug in charging if desired.

The vehicle will be powered by the single rear wheel. The front wheels are not powered in this vehicle they are only used for steering. The Triumph GT6 front suspension and steering components are retained. The GT6 was a front engine rear wheel drive car. It has unequal double wishbone suspension up front with rack and pinion steering. The week points of the GT6 and Spitfires were the rear suspension and differentials. So I eliminated this by going with the single rear wheel along with the added weight of the GT6 rear end components.

The vehicle will retain the seating capacity of the original GT6 which was a 2 seat side by side arrangement.

The body retains the GT6 style bonnet which was all one piece and flipped forward for easy access to the engine bay. The bonnet will cover the front wheels for better aerodynamics. The front grill will be controlled not only at point of access but also at the point of release.

The front and mid body design is being modeled after the Fiat Turbina with some key changes. The front grill entry and nose shape is being more aerodynamically shaped and controlled. The wheel wells are being smoothed out a little bit for better airflow. The height of the roof will be smoothed out as well for better aerodynamics. The Fiat Turbina had a height of 49" and the GT6 had a height of 47" respectively. The Tigon will have a finished height of 42"

The Fiat Turbina had a cd of 0.14 and held the record for some 30 years, which for a 1954 vehicle was pretty amazing and still is for today's cars. The front track of the Turbina was 51" which is exactly the same as the GT6. The width of the Turbina was 63" and the GT6 was 56-57" depending on which model. The similarities between the two cars is one of the reasons I went with the GT6 chassis platform! Another reason is the GT6 chassis is a backbone design that is lightweight and strong good for 2 seaters. This chassis allows me to build a lightweight composite body shell that is completely modular. GT6 composite body shells of fiberglass reinforced composite weigh roughly 100lbs to give you an idea.

I think by reshaping the front, controlling the front grill airflow, reducing height, and tapering the back just right in more of a tadpole design this should yield some pretty good results. I think 0.13 is in the realm of real possibility although very ambitious in deed.

I apologize for the lengthy post here.

Talk to you later,

GreenHornet
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (03-05-2013)