View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #552 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Unfortunately the electric grid doesn't work that way. You may, as in some places in the US, be able to notionally buy "green" electricity from wind plants &c (and could do the same with nuclear or whatever), but you aren't actually getting the same electrons that the wind plants shoved out on the grid.
Well it could do if you measure energy in vs energy out. That way if someone chooses to only use renewables and the wind doesn't blow and sun doesn't shine they get cut off. Meanwhile those of us happy with coal keep warm, watch TV, and post on internet forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Why? I'm not saying that British air quality is not lots better than it was in the 1950s, just that it's not yet up to my standards of good. So I would just need to move my nose from here to there, and compare.
Depends where you are. The UK is a small place (about the same size as Japan). Go and poke your nose in the highlands of Scotland and you would struggle to find finer air anywhere on the planet - and if you do I would be happy to be your Scottish host

Take your nose to London and it is a different story.

It is only about 600 miles from one to the other.

And we used to be "Top nation", which was a good thing.