View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #560 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Until the coal miners go on strike, or the Chinese pay more for the coal than the British can, or... And you were minding what I said about storage, weren't you? Wouldn't be all that difficult, technically, to supply each house with sufficient storage for a day or two - plus what's in the plug-in hybrid's batteries.
As I pointed out before, the miners are no longer so unionised - haven't been for 20+ years - they lost the strike in 1984 and haven't been strong since. In fact unions themselves are far less relevant these days, except in the public sector.

We just closed a mine too, partly due to reduced demand (did I mention those closing coal stations) and because of a fire.

As for overseas supplies being insecure, like the US we have a load of gas under our ground which we could nicely be fracking if uk.gov would get out of the way. Apparently the fields in the US are about 2-300 metres thick, the one in Bowland is nearly 2km thick. Yet still we import gas as LNG from qatar. Madness again.

Additionally that fracked gas reduced the US co2 output and kept the lights on. Why shouldn't we do that too ?

EDIT - the first person to gets a dunce's cap

And China isn't cutting any emissions anytime soon.