View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Yeah. I'm still considering the conversion.

Buying a Phill is very salty. It might be more practical to install 20 gge CNG tanks (and lose all my trunk) to make the 50 mile round trip for CNG practical. 20 gallons would get me through a week of commuting. Maybe a lot of tankage will hold me until somebody builds CNG filling station close by. I see that GE/Chesapeake Energy are no offering a package CNG compressor fill setup for public commercial use.

Going that far would get me moving on installing a six-speed (gaining 1-3 MPG). This may be my first move under any circumstance.

The performance loss is overcome with bigger CNG injectors. Lingenfelter (the hot rod engine builders) have messed with CNG LS7s. Lingenfelter would not put their name on a dog.

I have to talk to an installer. It may be the EPA restrictions have relaxed on my thirteen year-old-car.

If I had a source of grease, I would be using biodiesel. It is an outstanding idea. There is a guy about a hundred miles away that refines ASTM-quality B100 and will do business on a "sharecropper" basis. (I bring him 100 gal of cooking grease, he gives me 25 gal of high-quality B100) To operate my truck 24 weeks a year i need about 500 gallons of B100 so I'd need 2,000 gallons of grease. I just don't have that much of a source of restaurant grease.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam