View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I really enjoyed the movie plot outline. There's potential in the idea. I see an outline with two rival groups each competing in their own series of contests. BUT they start talking to each other and getting ideas. And each group saves the other's um, backside when something goes very wrong. Hmmm. Then there's a race with very little fuel allowed. They join forces and field a small fleet, and win all the top prizes.

Do you have a gauge yet? A ScanGauge or UltraGauge plugs into OBDII socket and gets all power and data from there. ScanGauge gives instant and trip and tank mpg plus other data like engine temp. A good gauge is a must have.

As Jeff wrote, undertray aka belly pan is very worthwhile. Expect a few mpg gain from that.

I know you wrote you don't want to do this but I got about 4-5 mpg from it.
I put a big ($86) Walmart deep cycle battery in trunk and disconnected the alternator output cable. A heavy 4 ga cable runs thru existing hole in dash thru rocker and to trunk. A battery disconnect at end of alt cable lets me reconnect it for long trips. Yes I do have to charge it nightly. The benefit is from having no load on the alt aside from the spinning belt and pulley. Expect the project to grow. I ended up with two deep cycles batteries in trunk, none in front.

Last edited by brucepick; 04-11-2013 at 11:27 AM..