View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shortie771
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
nice flaps. id like to try that. it would be easier to just get a different transmission then put the ex 5th gear in. its not that much better in the first place just get any one of the p20/A000 trannys and it will be better and a crap load easier then what you are doing. plus you could probably trade yours to some ricer and get cash on top haha. i know they are all looking to the si trannys
I have tried to find a way to simply trade my tansmission for a DX/LX trans but I can't find a way to get rid of it without having to sell it, go without a car for a few days and buy a new trans. I know it will be a lot more work (I have been told many times) to swap the 5th gear out, but I have a lot more time than I do money. My brother has an EX manual trans and he wants my 5th gear, so it would be a weekend in the garage for us to swap 5th gears (he doesnt want my whole trans). I don't mind taking the time and learning a few things along the way to get a 6.7% taller 5th gear for free. Later I will throw in a DX/LX final drive for an additional 4.7% in all gears. This will allow me to keep my shorter gears for if I ever do decide to make this car fast, but also allow me to have 11.4% taller gearing when I am on the highway (where I spend most of my time).

I have thought about this a LOT and I think this would be the best balance for me. Yes, it will be a lot of work but the 5th gear will be free and I can probably just buy a DX/LX final drive from honda later on.

I know that everybody here is trying to steer me to the best possible gains for the least amount of work and I thank you all for that, but I want to be able to keep the versitility of being able to get good mpg while also being able to go out and have a little fun.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI