View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
I applaud your efforts at improving your fuel economy,
Thanks.

Quote:
but unfortunately you've also created a car that is an extremely dangerous device for you and others around you on the road.
Not true. Although cars are inherently dangerous, mine is not especially so. And I have a perfect driving record. 12-15K miles a year and no problems. No moving violations, no accidents, no demerits of any kind. I think speeders and drinkers, and the sleepy, the texting, the cellphone chatters, and the lane hoppers are the actual menaces on the road, regardless of the qualities of their motor vehicles. And the available evidence supports me. Speed, distraction, intoxication, and reckless driving are the main causes of accidents. IMHO, my "Black and Green" is one of the safest presences on the road. My long driving history with it is my best proof.

Quote:
1. Your tire inflation pressures are 15-25psi over the acceptable maximum inflation pressure limit for any 175/50/13 or 175/70/13 tire on the market. That's a blowout waiting to happen. The highest available 175/50/13 or 175/70/13 maximum pressure for any tire of the sort on the market is 44psi, fyi.
This has been discussed frequently on this site and you can search those discussions. I don't want to recap them. But the stated tire pressures on sidewalls are not the last word in what the tires are capable of and what is safe.

Quote:
2. Your lowered suspension, despite improving your aero-capabilities make it much more likely that if you do end up in a collision, you will not survive unscathed. Your crash-bar height at the front, at the rear, and as far as the side-impact beams are concerned is now significantly lower than that of the vehicles around you. The net result is that if you have a crash, your car will effectively pass partially underneath the other car in the incident, drastically increasing the likelihood of serious injury or fatality for you and your car's other occupants.
I have not lowered my suspension. So this comment is simply not about my car.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.