View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
By using a Harley softail powertrain and retaining the dimensions of the original bike's powertrain components, I have only to connect the diesel motor to the transmission input with a chain (primary). The donor bike was "upgraded to a stronger engine, transmission and final drive as well as a 4 inch belt primary (engine to transmission). The seller also rebuilt the transmission for me. He works with another Harley tech and they do engines and transmissions for local shops who prefer to farm the work out. They used to build drag race bikes until their sponsor lost interest.

I am hoping that between the rear tire, probably a 195/65/17 Bridgestone Ecopia (28.5 inch diameter) and the primary engine sprocket which will be the largest I can find, within reason, I am hoping the trike will get close to 60 MPH top speed. It will be interesting to see if it can get there, if not maybe a small turbo to get a little more power.

This allows the use of the Harley starter, which I got for $20. It mounts to the transmission and works through the transmission primary chain drive to the engine, which gives me electric start. A small single wire GM type alternator on an adjustable bracket that acts as a primary chain tensioner as well as providing a charging system.

I think the gas tank that came with the engine is 2 gallons capacity. No AC but for heat I am thinking a heat exchanger like the old VWs with an added exhaust system.

I plan on all lights being LED, with the possible exception of the headlight. Seating will be side by side with significant side crash protection. The sides of the frame will be covered in sheet steel, at least where a side impact could cause an injury.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 09-05-2013 at 02:23 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-27-2013), Christ (08-30-2013), HHOTDI (09-10-2013), mikeyjd (08-30-2013)