View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #54 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
03-22-2006, 07:45 Pm

another couple of hours tinkering underneath a 16,600 lb forklift which didn't squash me like a bug = another successful late afternoon!

got the second hydraulic motor out and both hydraulic pumps:

above is a hydraulic motor: 8 inch diameter, approx 13 inch length, 110 lbs weight. the pump is on the right side of the motor.

this is the main traction motor, looking from the rear towards the front. that's the left front wheel in the pic. the beige bit furthest forward in line with the motor is the differential.

motor is approx 12 inch diameter, 15 inches long, not including the seat/safety brake assembly (closest end in the pic). it's like an inverse brake drum with the shoes around the outside. the drum is connected to the tailshaft of the motor, and the brakes are engaged/disengaged by a mechanical link to the driver's seat. when you're off the seat, it springs up and the motor is locked. it's effectively a parking brake since the motor is directly connected to the diff.

i took the thick electrical cables off the motor. the cable casing is printed with: "diesel and locomotive cable". how cool will that look under the hood of a suzuki swift.

so tomorrow's the big day. traction motor comes out, and then all's left is to fish the cables and control wires out of the chassis and remove the control panel (controller & contactors). SVOboy, i'd call you over to help move the motor, but i'm afraid you'd hurt yourself again

if i'm lucky, the scrapyard gets the leftovers on friday. if not, then first thing next week. i'm sure the neighbours will be happy to see the thing gone.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget