View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #256 (permalink)
doclees
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Sorry- and to doclees as well. I hadn't read the listicle and thought it was doclees' contribution.

The car business is really capital intensive and it's almost impossible to break into, but Tesla looks like it's going to stay. I know he didn't name it after himself, but it's been the usual ego driven executive founding a company story.

There are formidable barriers to Elio making it, but they're not car industry specific issues. They just need to have cars produced and be ready to support them before they make $1 in sales, that's all. Taking deposits is a great way to soften that and build name recognition. They've got a good shot at making it and I hope they do.
No apology needed. It's just a forum. We must remember that this is not a "car" company but a motorcycle company that can appeal to many more than 2 wheelers. I ride a motorcycle because it is cheap to run, insure and work on. I've run it 3+ seasons here it PA. I'd prefer not to worry about protective gear (warm/cold/hot/wet/armor), helmet, sand, wind, rain, slipping when putting a foot in oil, parking on uneven surface, soft surface, getting bumped and falling over...etc. Sure I could buy a Can-Am spyder and not worry about 1/2 of the above. But then I'd be out $20k. I'f the Elio trike doesn't make it into production I hope they make the plans and parts list available to the public. I'd start building on in a heartbeat.
UltArc (08-28-2013)