View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #45 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
that looks real good. it will be on my list now after i read how to make those clips.
Thanks. The clips are made with about a foot and a half of copper pipe, cut into 3" sections and hammered flat. Then I bent the section twice: a 180* bend of a 3/4" length and a 90-110* bend in the opposite direction from the first (leaving something around a 90* angle depending on your car's wheel well lip). For the tensioner to tighten the clips, I used bolts. The bolts are 10s, with self locking nuts. A 1/4" drill bit cut adequate holes. The skirt is attached to the clips using small aluminum screws that do not protrude out past the clip much, so as to pose no risk to the tire.

Making the clips was a slow process for me. It might be easier for you if you have more experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Looking great! Have you considered painting them? A can of OEM color matched paint runs about $20 and can do both sides. It would almost look factory equipped painted. Any plans for ABA testing?
Thanks! But it is a low-res photo!

I am planning to paint, after adding aluminum sheet to the surface (I will be buying aluminum for the under tray, rear spoiler, and diffuser project). Do you know a good price for my Flamenco Black Pearl NH-592P? I only found one spray application option and it was $30 to cover a mere 6 square feet. Alternately, I thought maybe I could treat this as "trim" and paint it the same flat black as other aeromod parts on the body.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.