View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #108 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thanks for taking the time, but

is ambiguous. Any drawings or pictures. Or just, how would the idler arm theory translate to a tricycle?

Old Mechanic -- Dig the pix. I do hope you use an equivalent grade for the four bolts that hold the axle beam, the holes in the square tube are sleeved and you plug the ends of that crossbar so it doesn't distort.
The mounts for the front suspension assembly are (I believe) grade 8 bolts, and the mounting points are on the vertical tubes, that are welded to the top tube. The actual mounts themselves are a piece of thick walled tubing that is welded to the vertical tube where the mounting bolts pass through the welded tubing and do not bear on the square tubing. Like yourself, if it had been bolted through a hole drilled in the tubing, it would certainly have been a weak point in the design. As it is you could probably lift a Chevy Surburban with each individual mounting point, Long before any deformation occured in the frame structure the axle itself would bend under any suspension impact that could be imagined.

That is one reason why I am as pleased as possible with the workmanship that my friends shop has performed. When they have finished to the point where I take the vehicle out of their shop, I will probably get either my brother or myself to TIG weld gusset plates for further reinforcement of critical structural areas to provide even more strength, particularly in the engine mounting, suspension, and passenger compartment areas.

The other side of the coin is it is also essentail to leave the front and rear sections of the frame with areas that can collapse in the event of any collision. If this was not done and the ends of the structure were actually too strong, then collision forces would not be absorbed and would be transferred directly to the occupants. Primarily those areas are the frame in front of the front suspension, and behind the mounting points for the rear suspension, engine and transmission.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 09-11-2013 at 04:56 PM..