View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Weston's (mostly) Scale Model WIKISPEED SGT01

Now that I've actually seen one of the SGT01 cars and taken a lot of video and pictures, I feel that I can start on this build.

The plans for the WIKISPEED SGT01 vehicle include drawings of the car's frame, the suspension, steering, brakes, interior, crush structures, and car body.

Link to Open Source Ecology http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Wi...ikispeed_STG01

Link to pictures from the Winnispeed (Wikispeed build in Winnipeg, Canada) project. The pictures are recent, and are for the installation of the Electric Motor Module into the car. http://lepinsky.com/winnispeedsept2013/index.html

Weston (my grandson) is almost 3 and a half. I'd like to have this working for his fourth birthday (although he likely won't see it until he comes up to the lake, perhaps next May)

I have collected some parts for this build that I think will work pretty well, but I guess we'll see.

Overall:
The full sized version (frame only) is 48 inches wide. This one will be 26 inches wide since I could not fit the parts into 24 inches. Similarly, the full sized frame is 20 inches tall. This one will be 12 for the same reason - I can't get everything to fit. The 10 foot length of the original will be cut in half for the model - 5 feet long.

The model should fit through a doorway. I'd like the turning radius to be tight so that it can be used in a small yard ... we'll see how that goes!

Frame:
- 2 inch aluminum tube, 1/8 inch wall (1/2 size from the 4 inch tube, 1/8 wall in the full size version)
- bolt-together frame (for the model) instead of welded-together frame in the full size version
- motor module will be bolt-together like the frame, using the same methods, but will use 1.25 inch tube just like the full size version. Scaling it down to 5/8 tube did not allow me to use the bolts and washers that the full sized version uses. The larger tube takes up more room, but it should be OK.
- 3/8 grade 8 bolts, with nordloc washers to keep things from getting loose

Parts:
- Recycled 48V Curtis 1204 controller, 300A max (a TINY bit of overkill ...)
- 48V gel-cell pack recycled from an industrial UPS. 7 ah batteries (which will likely put out 3 ah now). I have 3 of these, so they will be set up to charge in 30 minutes (off-board charger to start - there is no room!). Hopefully Weston can make a battery pack last 10 minutes! I should be able to exchange packs and keep the car running for a couple of hours at a time .. I hope. If he likes it, perhaps an investment in a better pack will happen.
- 12V gel cell for auxilliary - LED lights, a horn, perhaps signal lights. Maybe even a small stereo amp to give it a VROOM sound.
- rear suspension, motor and differential from a 3-wheeled old-guy scooter. Rated at 24V but it will work fine at 48V ... for a while
- rear suspension plates cut from aluminum per CAD files ... but the shocks will be modified a bit. I don't have a line on smaller shocks yet.
- front suspension - plates cut from aluminum per CAD files. Perhaps I can modify bicycle rear shocks to fit?
- wheels - recycled from a Carryall electric utility vehicle. 12 inch diameter. Adapter plates to be hand cut for the rear, use the whole hub for the fronts
- steering ... perhaps scale model of WIKISPEED prototype steering rack using non-tempered aluminum? Looking for a small steering wheel ...
- Brakes - front only, part of the Carryall wheels. Cabled to a custom brake pedal
- accelerator - the smallest potbox I can find
- dash - I have some old analog gauges that I may be able to drive with an Arduino. An old-school limited-range volt-meter for the gas gauge, a tachometer to display the rpm from an inductive pickup and a couple of magnets on the axles for speedometer, LEDs for signals and headlights.
- Reverse will use a recycled forward/neutral/reverse manual switch from the Carryall

Unlike my last project - the Electric WIKISPEED Motor Module - I hope to keep this build thread update at least once a week, and to keep it up to date.

We'll see how well that works for me. I have not stopped working on other WIKISPEED projects ... so this may be a bit of a challenge!

Last edited by thingstodo; 09-16-2013 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: Added links .. and Weston is my grandson