View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
nickdigger
EcoModding Apprentice

If you want a bigger, readable bar graph, just upgrade to a 20x4 LCD. Reprogramming the CGRAM on-the-fly is a neat idea, but the gap between rows 0 and 1 is kinda off-putting, whereas it's not really noticable with the bigger, wider block characters. On my 20x4, the graph is 15 columns wide, and the 16x2 has 11.
In my own experience, i put a graph on mine about 3 years ago, but rarely, rarely view it. The last time was a couple weeks ago on a 100-miler, and i only used it to verify the code still worked. There were enough fluctuations in the traffic that wildly skewed the graph, where a single data point at 100+ mpg (caused by EOC deceleration to change freeways), that all the other 30 minutes' data all looked the same in comparison. I kept watching the graph, anticipating the 100+ point to fall off the chart, and once it finally dropped, I got another one just a few minutes later when I EOC'd to exit the freeway. Who knew that averaging 100mpg (for 2 minutes) could be so frustrating?
Also, the slightest incline or descent will be reflected in the data. Which makes the graph look interesting, but just makes you realize that so, so much of your MPG performance on the road is completely out of your control, and is dictated to you by the terrain and the general traffic flow.
Not trying to discourage your work. Just sharing my experiences. Mostly, these days, I just watch my auto-resetting Trip2 screen, and keep a mental note of my personal-best trips to common destinations, and try to match them as circumstances permit.