View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
StudeChamp
More Cars Than Sense

Studeo - '39 Studebaker Champion 4 door sedan

NOT SWIFT - '91 Geo Metro Base with xfi parts
90 day: 49.68 mpg (US)
1939 Studebaker + Geo 1.0L drivetrain swap = Studeo

I'm a car addict and am building two vehicles at a time: a 1991 Geo Metro lsi retrofitted with xfi gear and custom kammback (to be documented in another thread) and a bone stock 1940 Studebaker Champion biz coupe (the original car factory built for economy, I'll post links once I have enough posts).

And both these projects generated piles and piles of spare parts, including two parts cars (Geo and Stude), extra engines, suspension parts, etc.

So my BFF and master mechanic Johnny had this brilliant idea: take the left-for-dead 1939 Studebaker Champion 4 door sedan, take the running gear out of a 1991 Geo Metro, weld up a custom K-Member for said running gear, insert said running gear in trunk of Studebaker, and voila, quick ecomod project.

Fast forward two years (that's when I first opened an account with the name StudeChamp) and the car is coming together.

Here is what we've got:

Johnny welded up a custom K-member to replicate the front clip of the Geo.

We then cut out the floorpan and frame of the Studebaker from the B pillars to the rear bumper.

John stuck a stock 1L Suzuki with 5 speed transaxle (4.11 gears) out of the 91 Geo into the K member, attached the suspension, axles and tires, and then rolled the member under the car and into place.

Then we lowered the car over the K member, and attached the member to the frame and custom cage we welded up inside the car to keep the body straight.

So now the car is now rolling, with drivetrain in place. No interior, paint, glass, fuel system, wiring harness, etc. yet.

Sounds easy, right?

Looking forward to posting pics once I get enough conversation going to be able to do so.

The guys at the Studebaker club will cry when I open the hood to reveal nothing, so we are really hoping for validation from this crowd. Looking forward to sharing the build with you.

StudeChamp

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StudeChamp For This Useful Post:
brucepick (01-21-2014), California98Civic (01-21-2014), Christ (02-07-2014), Ecky (02-08-2014), Ryland (01-22-2014), some_other_dave (01-22-2014)