View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
vskid3's E-Bike (Sell Insight to buy E-Bike?)

I'm considering selling my Insight to buy an e-bike to use for my commute instead (will keep Prius because it makes more sense as a sole car, Insight is a little too small). I'm trying to reduce my expenses as much as possible, and getting rid of the second car (Insight) is one of the biggest and easiest things to do. Unfortunately, fuel costs are the least of my worries. Insurance and registration are the biggest expenses (besides the purchase price) and repairs, while unlikely, will likely be $500-1000 or more for major components. If I were to sell it now, I could make back almost all of what I've put into it.

Now onto the potential replacement. My commute is 4.5-5 miles, depending on which route I take. I usually do the trip 6 times a day, to and from PT, to work and home for lunch, and then back to work and home. The roads are all 25 or 35MPH. Unfortunately, most of the 25MPH roads aren't very wide (for US roads, at least) and have little shoulder. I live in El Paso, TX, so the summer highs are 100+ for several months out of the year and it can get quite windy. I currently have a mountain bike that I bought in hopes of commuting with, but the heat, wind, and not enough room for people to safely pass me has kept me from doing it much (and me being lazy...). I'm thinking an e-bike would help alleviate most of my concerns/excuses, such as being able to keep up with traffic without showing up to work drenched. Nothing fancy or super powerful, just enough to 20MPH on its own should be good enough for me to do 25 while pedalling and part throttle. From what I've read on Endless Sphere, my current aluminum-frame bike wouldn't be an ideal starting point.

Anyone have any advice to offer, whether it be in favor of keeping the car, or bike/e-bike relate?

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread

Last edited by vskid3; 11-21-2015 at 10:48 PM..