View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
texanidiot25
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Interesting look at pop-up light and other bits on my car

Today I went out to wash all the tree pollen off the car, and decided to look at certain aspects in the car by spraying the water over it, and have my brother take pics.

Things studied:
Pop-up head lights
The air dam around the tires, with and with out it.
Side mirrors

lights up 1st:
With them down:

Up:

Striking difference. In person you can see the wave-effect it causes behind the light.

Next up is the stock air dam. 270,000 miles later, the passenger side of the air damn is missing, so this created an opportunity to see the effects of it:
The air dam itself:

Driverside, air dam intact:

You can see the water creates a clear and fairly smooth path around the tire.

Passenger side, no air dam:

(ignoring the sidewall of my tires.. getting new ones soon), it's obvious to see that the water hits straight on with blunt force. Going to fab up a replacement air damn soon.

The side mirror:

GM's Bullet shaped mirrors of the 70s, 80s and 90s are certainly cool looking.

In person there is a wave-effect in the wake of the mirror, and in the pics you can see the mirror mounting arm also has a large effect. But over all, IMO not too obstructive compared to larger mirrors today. When shooting the water at the edge of the windshield, it flows around the mirror quite well, being that they are tucked in close to the car.

Anyhoo, just some interesting stuff to look at. And some purty pictures.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues

Last edited by texanidiot25; 07-08-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Damnit, I spelled Dam wrong :)
The Following User Says Thank You to texanidiot25 For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (03-31-2010)