View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Measurements will be looking for swings in pressure with temperature.
This will be part of the non road test, fill the tire at night to a set pressure, lay it down on the ground where the sun will hit it, let it get good and hot to simulate being driven and check pressure again. I am not expecting much to happen.
The result I am looking for in the cooling test for the tread package to run cooler. Tread slightly cooler, side wall and rim, slightly warmer.
If the complex gasses stay in the tire longer that would be nice too, (the idea behind stayfill).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
My theory is that you're going to eventually be on the news after you blow yourself or somebody else up.
There's no reason any of those gases would pull any measurable heat out of your tires any more than the nitrogen would, and it also seems kind of irresponsible to test your theory on the road with no idea how those gases react with the tire material under heat & load, while pulling trailer loads of welding equipment. You could probably keep liquid propane in a tire, buy I doubt that you'd really want to drive around on it
Did you read the post?
There is an entire pre-onroad phase to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4
Filling a tire with something different and hitting the road is not a good idea
I know the gases I am going to test have been used on road or track before.
A company called stayfill sell a fluorocarbon to fill vehicle tires, likely HFC-125 (fire suppressant), R-134a, or "canned air" aka R-143.
Plus how is fire suppressant going to blow up?
You spray into a room full of fire and it goes out, if that's not a definitive test than I dont know what is.
An R-404a mixture was used in F1. Do you think if it were going to blow up they would use it?
No of course not .