View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital rules View Post
Thanks, I was wondering what the norm was for the 1.8 liter Toyota engine. Scangauge bounces between .16 -.17 & Ultragauge .14 -.15 on my '05 1ZZ-FE.

Does your idle gradually drop to a low point & then exhibit a slight roughness? I always assumed the mixture was intentionally leaned out by the computer to improve idle FE. I recently replaced my intake manifold gasket & idle quality/ low end torque have noticeably improved but still not a silky smooth idle like a Honda 4 banger. MPG seems better too-425 miles & still a little over 1/4 tank left.
Yea it does, the mixture is most certainly not being leaned out. The 1ZZ ECU runs rich if stumbling below idle speed, stoichiometric all conditions from idle up to ~4500rpm or so, and then open loop from there on at high throttle position.

The idle isn't as good as a Honda because the cams are single profile. The 2ZZ has a better idle than the 1ZZ, 7.2mm lift vs 9.4/8.6 intake/exhaust I think explains it. I would love to get a 2ZZ + C60 combo, raise the compression, custom grind the low cam for increased duration and fuel economy, but no money