View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
fast warm up ideas: Exhaust heat exchanger

These EGR coolers are horrible for power and fuel economy on the diesel engines they were originally fitted on. But they have other uses.
These are stainless steel tube in shell vessels purpose built to exchange heat between a vehicles exhaust and its coolant.
How does it get any better than that?

Possible uses for these EGR coolers include:
Coolant warmed air intake heater
As an air to water after cooler for smaller turbo or supercharged gas or diesel engine.
Its intended use (as a coolant cooled EGR cooler) on some other kind of engine.
As a exhaust powered coolant heater for engines big and small.
A steam super heater (do that at your own risk).
And what ever else you imagination can come up with.

I have seen a few posts about using cooled EGR or more EGR and trying to find ways to try and reuse waste exhaust heat. Main problem with these ideas was the lack of cheap easy to get parts built for this kind of job.
Now we have the technology.

The problem with running some kind of exhaust to coolant heat exchanger is when you don't want any more exhaust heat flow to your coolant you cant just shut off the coolant flow. That seems like it would be the easiest way to stop the heat transfer, but would superheat the coolant and that would be very bad for the coolant and the heat exchanger.
So we must shut off the exhaust flow to the heat exchanger. Sounds difficult right? Not really.
This can be accomplished with exhaust cut outs for large heat movement projects or a universal or external turbo waste gate can be used for smaller heat transfer projects. Waste gates go from about 1 inch up to about 2.25 inchs in diameter. Cut outs start around 1.5 to 2 inches and just go up from there.

I found a hord of take off 6.4L ford powerstroke EGR coolers.
If any one wants one real cheap to experiment with on say a gas or different diesel engine, just be a long time member and PM me.
Price will be shipping plus $10 over what I pick them up for, just a finders fee. (I think each one will cost me around $5 to $10)
Other wise I am going to try to sell them on ebay for a lot more.

Edit: The hoard of exhaust coolers is long gone, I had milk crates stuffed with EGR coolers, altogether weighing 100s of pounds. I never though I would be able to sell them all.
I get a few here and there every now and then.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	egrcoolerpic.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	18155  

Last edited by oil pan 4; 07-01-2015 at 12:58 AM..