View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Another vehicle 92 Nissan Sentra

I originally bought this car for one of my brothers sub contractors who does AC work.

We sold him the car for $500 in running condition, but he never came to my buddys body shop to pick the car up. After 6 months I decided to just take the car home and see what it needed to run reliably.

I got a transport tag ($5) from the DMV and drove it home (20 miles) today. Put some walmart premium and some techron in the tank. It was idling poorly but would run good otherwise. I dogged the crap out of it on the way home and it was starting to idle better until I got a mile from home (of course) then it dropped a cylinder completely.

GRRRRRRRRR, just my luck. With little hope of success I went to advance and bought 4 NGK spark plugs. To my utter amazement that fixed the miss (autolite plugs). I can't remember how long it has been since a plug change fixed a dead miss.
I was figuring I would have to pull the intake and possibly change a couple of injectors but I think I might get away without having to do that. I had cleaned the IAC valve to get rid of the stalling when we first got the car in February.

The Sentra has 175k miles on it and it was atrociously dirty on the outside with an accumulation of rotten leaves that was enough to affect the airflow through the heater and AC. several hours with the pressure washer and some simple green and it looks much better.

I has an exhaust leak, so I jacked it up and found the leak in the tailpipe just past the flange where the tailpipe meets the center section of the exhaust. Pull that sucker and weld it up, looks like it was not welded properly to begin with. They probably tried to do it on the car instead of taking off two bolts and dropping the whole muffler-tailpipe assembly. The battery is 7 years old and it was stone cold dead after sitting for 6 months, holding a charge for now.

I also need a left rear side marker lens. Then it should pass inspection and be legal to drive.

It's an auto, fortunately the overdrive 4 speed (33 highway). What is amazing is that everything works in the car, even the cruise control and the AC is probably still R12. 1.6 liter twin cam 4 valve per cyl engine that has a timing chain when most had belts at that time. Dang thing will chirp the tires going into second. It weighs just over 2200 pounds. One of the last ones made in Japan, I think. Interior is almost perfect, once I got all the dirt out of it.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 08-16-2014 at 05:07 PM..