View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
nemo
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post

To control it, I would ideally like to use a solenoid valve. I would also monitor engine temperature and transmission temperature. Normal operation would be to leave the solenoid closed until the engine is up to 130-140F. This gets it out of its high idle / cold start mode, since the engine is more important to warm up than trans. After the engine hits that temp, the solenoid would open up and the coolant would be used to heat up the transmission. At some set temperature, the solenoid could close if the transmission gets too warm. If not, it would happily run at ~180F just like the engine.

Is this overly complex? Perhaps. But, I will have at least one arduino onboard controlling another modification, so adding a temp sensor and a solenoid valve wouldn't be difficult at all.
Daox, I like how you would control it specifically waiting for the engine temperature to take it out of fast idle.

As for the hardware several thoughts came to mind. My first thought was to use a heater core but thought it might be better to just use flexible tubing that could be molded to the transmission shape so it could actually be in contact or is there a flat spot on the transmission. Insulating the tubes from the air would be required, also insulating the lines to the throttle body and heater might also be helpful. Bottom mounting location would be best.

As for a FE bump it's all speculation without some testing 7 mile is a short distance. My personal thought is thinner lube whether oil or transmission oil as other have said would probably yield similar improvement if compatible with transmission components. Both heat and lube change would be better.

Always hated the way vehicles felt in freezing weather.The mod could be worth it just for smoother shifting.
The Following User Says Thank You to nemo For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-29-2014)