View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
He puts rebar into a vice, puts a Go 2 Socket on one end, and with a breaker bar, twists the rebar. It rotates somewhat in the vice, but he definitely deforms it.

Seriously, I was just about to order it when the friend whose oil pan I replaced asked me to help her with her car again. The car was not starting. She thought that a partially-flattened lock washer between the starter and the cable was a contributor and maybe it was. I watched a video where a mechanic said that many Hondas do not start because the battery terminals get so corroded or oxidized that not enough current can get through. He showed us bulging cables and how to cut off a section and redo them. I did not see any bulges in her cables, but they were a mess, the ends were all frayed. When we removed the battery to replace the lock washer, we saw that the bottom was even worse, and when we removed the terminal, we found oxidation inside. I sawed off half an inch, put the terminal back on, and her car started.

When I was at O'Reilly picking up lock washers, I looked at what they had for stripped nuts and bolts and I found something like what Doax linked, but it was twice the price. I can see times when the Go 2 Socket would be too big to fit, but I am still ordering a set. $14.99 for eleven sockets sounds great.

It really sounded too good to be true. Fifteen dollars for one socket seems too high.

Last edited by Xist; 09-25-2014 at 03:48 AM..