View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Frank
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, the two boxes are as far forward as I can get them. The back of the fairing is about 24" wide so the saddlebags protrude about 2" more on each side. My legs are sticking out there as well. Some type of gaiter to move airflow outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Inflatable boattail backpack.

I can see why you want to change the saddlebags. What's inside? If it's a single battery, that's a problem. If they were packed with Tesla 18650 cells, then you could curve at least the outward face.
I'm using Enerdels and each side has two assemblies of six "elements." They're not that granular. They are butting up as close to the side of the bike as I can get them. They could be a *bit* lower but that would compromise ground clearance.

Quote:
Do they need to be separated, or could you make a single U-shaped piece that wraps around the rear tire? Worst case, just rotating them to horizontal might be an improvement.
I don't understand "rotating them to horizontal"?

Quote:
You're not going to see optimum on the back end of a motorcycle IMHO. Too much upstream turbulence. A rounded rear, 30's style (Dymaxion/Volkhart Sagitta), might reduce crosswind response. Then you get the flat Kamm bullet shape (good for low fineness ratio), the full template boattail and finally the reverse camber to shift center of pressure backward. You get to choose from the first two.
I'll have to think about this! I always thought I'd have to end up with some sort of Kamm tail. I don't understand fineness ratio, have to study...