View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
blownoiler
performance with economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I change the oil on our 2008 Hyundai snota about every 5000 to 7000 miles.
Whats different about the kia/Hyundai 3.3L V6 is it has an oil filter that is only made of the filter element, there is no out side canister. So when you remove it you can see whats on it.

The filter comes out perfectly clean and a few times I have tried to wash dirt out of the filter paper with lacquer thinner. Looking for big bits of sludge, soot or metal shavings and I get nothing.
That engine must be in good condition, I'm guessing it hasn't got a lot of miles on the speedometer!

Quote:
In heavy duty diesel engines some times you get a fuel oiler. Its a block and a screw that adjusts a needle valve that bleeds engine oil into the fuel system.
Idea is you adjust the fuel oiler to leak about a quart of oil into the fuel system every 2 or 3 thousand miles, that way you are always adding fresh oil to the engine.
That way the oil automatically changes its self and you don't have to stop for an oil change.
I have heard of this before, apparently it was utilized in a late 60s/ early 70s engine, I don't remember which manufacturer used it.
Quote:
Some engines even have automatic crank case oil level controllers. You put fresh oil in the tank and as the motor oil leaks out it gets replaced.
That could be a good system for those drivers who never check their oil levels, personally, I don't fill the engine oil level to the full mark on the dip stick, only to the halfway mark, which still leaves 5 litres in the sump. The idea behind this is to get less oil mist going into the engine through the pvc system, and also less windage losses from the spinning crankshaft.
Here's a blurb on variable displacement oil pumps and the fuel savings they can give- https://www.asme.org/engineering-top...etter-oil-pump