We often get people signing up on the forum saying they're looking for a cheap, economical beater. The purpose of this thread is to go beyond the hypothetical, and post actual ads of cheap, efficient cars. Something you'd actually consider getting.
Cars like Old Mech's $300 1992 Nissan Sentra
(~38 mpg in actual use), or Daox's $1200 1999 Chevy Metro
When I started looking for a winter beater to give the Firefly a break from the annual salt bath in eastern Ontario, I found a fair number of diamonds in the rough out there. And even though I already picked up a 2007 Civic
, I still find myself looking at the ads once in a while, just to see what's available.
Do you ever browse your local ads? Post the candidates here.
1) $1500 or under asking price
2) something you'd seriously consider looking at/buying
3) 35 mpg US EPA highway rating or better (yes, our Euro friends can laugh at this)
4) list the car's EPA ratings ---> search EPA ratings here
5) post a link to the ad
6) copy the pertinent details from the ad into your post (for posterity, because the actual ad itself is going to expire/disappear)
for posting a photo.
UPDATE: View a SUMMARY of the results so far. See post #220 for a round-up
. Below are pics from some of the actual ads.