View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
mikeyjd
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFM View Post
Nice find, those motors last forever.

P.S. How long have you had that Ultra-Gauge? The cheesy little mount broke for mine within like three months. I ended up just putting it in my wife's car sitting above the steering column, so she can still see her instantaneous mpg and average mpg, but nothing else.
Thanks. Yeah these motors are known to go over 300k between overhauls. I've had the UG over a year now, the mount hasn't given me any issues. I woulda called the company and asked for a replacement if it had broke that quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
Always good to see another taco around.

Are you planning on doing anything with the flat bed, i.e. modification or replacement?

You should consider trying to find a set of cheap 06-11 Honda Civic Hybrid alloy wheels, I believe they share the same lug pattern with your taco (5x114.3mm). All you would have to do is have the centerbore machined out from 64.1mm to 67.1mm. They would be light weight and fairly aerodynamic.

I have to ask… why the name smudge?
Yeah I really like them. The reliability is pretty incredible. The flat bed is actually a big part of the reason I bought it. I have a used appliance business and will be able to fit 6 units on this little puppy vs 4 in my regular V6 bed. Streamlining will likely be in the future if I can source good materials at a reasonable price.

How expensive/difficult would it be to have those rims machined to fit? Light weight is what I'm looking for. I'm planning to do flat wheel cover so aero/appearance are low on the priority list.

I was surprised when I saw that they were 14" wheels. My first thought was; "would Re92's work on this truck?" I'm considering trying it but I'm not confident the 9xx load rating would be a good idea. I'll probably try to find good cheap used radials for summer use, to replace my rear winterforce tires.

It has allot of permanent stains, interior and exterior. I thought it was appropriate considering the sad state it was in.

Last edited by mikeyjd; 03-19-2015 at 08:41 AM..