View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
32PICT? You must mean 30 or 31PICT. Unless there's a 32 PICT that I've never heard of.
According to TheSamba.com :: Carburetor Manuals it's a Type III carb. And according to TheSamba.com :: View topic - 34 PICT-3 vs 32 PICT-3 Give me your opinion and experience the 34 likes a vacuum advance distributor.

The LED headlights are no-name Cree-like Chinese knock-offs ($55/pr on eBay) in H-4 reflectors. Not being bright enough is not a problem. The round low-beam pattern compare to the halogens flat topped beam is, though. I'm using aluminum tape instead of eyebrows to fix that.

Water injection isn't like fuel injection, more like NOS. It's just dumped (unmetered, I think) into the intake manifold when it's triggered. It goes back to WWII bombers and was used for instance in the supercharged Olds F-85. Add alcohol as anti-freeze. There's probably discussion on this forum.

I call mine a weekly driver because I use a bicycle around town. I think VW's official figure is 28mpg.

Ceramic coating are helpful in the exhaust system and there is a 1/4" thick ceramic that is put on the piston tops as a thermal barrier. Thanks to the aerospace industry there are a lot of other coatings possible: anti-friction on the piston sides and valve train, heat rejection on the outside and probably others. I had my brake rotors and drums cryogenically tempered (for longer service life. I don't find the company in Michigan that did the work, it might have been Cryogenic Tempering Services, Cryo Treatment Services by 300 Below, Inc.. another company in Oztralia High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors or just Google 'cryogenic tempering'. It could be applied to engine parts as well, piston rings and such.