View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Wow! I wasn't familiar with the Type-3's, so I didn't know about the 32-PICT. I'll have to look into it. I'll also have to look into the LED's for H-4 head lamps. Do you use other LED's?

You're right about water injection. But there's a problem with just dumping water without metering. First, in Racing applications it's ok because normally you just floor it and keep it in a high RPM power band. But for an engine like mine I'd need it from full throttle at 1,400 RPM clear up to 4,600 RPM. That's 3 times the amount of water needed! Plus there could be knock just off full throttle, meaning I might need even more control over Water injection. Water injection could potentially ruin an engine if it's too much or too little. There is one company, Aquamist I think, that does offer full water injection metering based on RPM and load. But it's supposed to work in connection with a fuel injection system by reading the amount of fuel being injected. Plus there's that problem of freezing. Alcohol could work, although the usual methanol is corrosive to the aluminum heads and such. But I'm not sure even it would keep water from freezing at -40° like it gets here.