View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Gombal
EcoModding Lurker

Well i'm just curious, i drive 70 kilometres to work everyday (and 70 back). If it would be solely from the fast warm ups i could understand if i drove short distances. Of the 70 km about 45 is highway, 120 km/hr.I work shifts so i rarely have any traffic jams because i'm not on the road when the rest of Holland has to go to work or goes home.
99% of the time on cruisecontrol, simply because the car is drive by wire and there's almost no resistance in the gaspedal so my foot gets cramped.
First i thought warming the fuel was the answer, the Mercedes was equipped with it and there was almost no difference between summer and winter FE. (Must say it was a normally aspirated engine, standard cold air intake and indirect injection as the Ford is turbocharged, standard luke warm air intake and common rail)
As far as warm ups go, with Forscan i can see the amount of diesel injected per stroke, as soon as the engine is reaching 60 degrees celsius i see the injected amount decreasing. Cold or warm weather, this is always within the first 4 to 6 kilometres so not much diffrrence on a 70 km trip.
I know there are a lot of factors influencing the FE summer versus winter but as i don't have a garage i can't simply influence the engine and transmission oil temperature before startup for example.
What i can do is change the inlet air temp or with a bit more work, the diesel temp.
indirectly i'm also changing the engine's working temp 85 degrees celsius at 120 km/hr with cold air intake versus 88 degrees with warm air intake. Because there's no intercooler the compressed air is 10 to 15 degrees hotter when entering the engine at the same speed and load.

Last edited by Gombal; 07-27-2015 at 06:44 AM..