View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
93tracerwagon
EcoModding Lurker

This appears to be different than golf ball dimples....

I haven't been able to find much on what materials have been used. A paper on aircraft wings said they used 30% open material for their testing. Standard window screen is about 50%....which is what I'll give a try when I find the time. It appears that the porous material is set above the skin of the object, not directly on it, creating a second air layer that also acted as a jet at the rear edge of the object, which in itself appeared to reduce drag about 13%. I am still digesting this info. Also, in contrast to Mr Wood's diagram the whole top surface and front round edge of the body was covered with the material, not just a small section of the back and the rear. I suspect covering the rear has little or no effect. A recent review (April 2014) of Vehicle drag reducing methods in The International Journal of Mechanical & Mechantronics Engineering ( http://www.ijens.org/Vol_14_I_02/145...JMME-IJENS.pdf) seem to have several methodologies aimed at breaking up the rear vortices in order to increase pressure at the rear surface of the vehicle. Interesting reading.....
The Following User Says Thank You to 93tracerwagon For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-06-2015)