View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
bobdbilder
EcoModding Lurker

Knight - '03 Proton Waja
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

Whoopee - '01 Proton Wira 1.3 Aeroback
90 day: 38.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Awesome! You figured out how to control the vent!

I bought the largest one that I could, cut a hole for it in my grill block and air dam, and still had difficulty keeping my car from overheating as I climbed one hill.

I do not use my air conditioning, it actually does not work right now in my Civic. I just had the vent going and the temperature gauge passed the halfway mark, so I opened my windows, and turned on the heater.

That makes driving in Arizona less enjoyable...

So, I figure that the hole is not always big enough, and the vent would restrict too much flow, even when open.
For hot weather application, perhaps you should look into removing some sealing close to the windshield. This seems to seal the engine when the hood is closed. Removing this allow hot air to escape your engine bay and move right over your windshield. I think this sealing it is to keep the heat in during winter. Since I live in the tropics I removed mine. It helps to increase air flow across the radiator as the engine bay is not entirely closed. If the engine bay is closed, there is a drop in differential pressure across the rad. When there is a drop in differential pressure, flow across the rad also reduces. Be sure to put the sealing back on in winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobdbilder For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-21-2015)