View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
MetroMPG -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I think it depends on the battery (style & capacity). I've been running my 80w panel with no problems wired directly to the series pair of 6v 225ah floodies in the car. But when I ran it to a parallel pair of 12v 7ah SLA's, the voltage rose very quickly and they started gassing. If I'd left them hooked up, they would have fried in no time!
I went to my parent's house and it was sitting in the garage. Here are the specs :

Code:
Make        Model     Pmax   Vpmax   Ipmax   Isc   Voc   Length   Width  
Uni-Solar   MBC-262   11     15.60   0.70    0.9   21    28"      16"
I don't think it would hurt the battery, it even said so in the instructions. But I don't want to take any chances because battery's are expensive and the charger/protector is only $20, so it's a safe bet. Assuming interior car temperatures do not upset it, the solar panel can fit on my dashboard. Maybe it could even be an interior window shade when parked.

Hrmmmm, this might be a good sign (depending on what they mean by higher temperatures) :

(Page 100)
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...01/MQ31541.pdf
Quote:
5. The performance of the Uni-Solar MBC-262 PV module that utilized arnorphous
silicon solar cells improved at high ternperatures.
It's over ten years old, so it might just die on me. I am thinking that the best thing to do would be to :

1 - With the engine off, take a battery voltage reading (I can do this using the cigarette lighter).
2 - Park it at work all day with the dashboard window facing south.
3 - With the engine off, take a battery voltage reading.

If it works, it should always be better than when I park the car. If nothing else, it should keep my battery topped off (it's not a deep-cycle battery).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society