View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Well, I took apart the cruise control today and learned a little about how it works. Cut to the chase: I need to send it in for repair, or get a new circuit board.

There are three solenoid/check valves to the unit's vacuum chamber which contains the diaphragm / throttle cable.

The first thing I did was ensure the diaphragm & chamber seals are good, connected directly to engine vacuum.

Next I verified all 3 solenoids work when energized directly with 12v.

One labelled "vac" is normally closed and sits between the vacuum line and the chamber. When energized, it permits vacuum to the diaphragm/cable. The other two are normally open release valves, one labelled "vent" (fine throttle control), and the other "dump" (brake press, probably).

With the engine on & the unit engaged, the board is properly energizing (closing) the vent & dump valves, ensuring the reservoir is sealed. But when I press the "set" button, the vac solenoid only energizes weakly, on & off randomly, and doesn't permit enough vacuum through to the reservoir/diaphragm. The DMM shows only low voltage (less than 2v) on the vac solenoid, where the dump/vent solenoids are energized at 8v+.

The circuit board looks OK, but there's obviously something wrong with it. I guess the next step is to call Audiovox and find out if they can fix it, or send me a new circuit board.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget