View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Thumbs up Testing the controller...

Being paranoid, I couldn't sleep well without knowing if the controller worked or not when it arrived a week or so back, so within a day or two, I was hacking it together to test it out.

First thing I learned, it wouldn't turn on without the interface module plugged in:

(Remind me not to loose that thing.)
It powered up just fine, which was a great start.

Of course, it threw error codes about the contactor. So I had to hook one of those up. And I hooked 12v up to the contactor and the controller...but it still threw the code. After trying another contactor, which didn't make a difference, I decided to try 24v to the contactor and controller, and viola! I got the green light. Litterally!

The interface module showed that I was able to control the output voltage, which I confirmed:

But I wanted a load, any kind of load. Well, ok, it's a tiny load, but it's a load. In the top left corner:

That poor little 10-watt, 12-volt bulb somehow survived having 24v across it for a second at a time. Sure, it went super-nova, but hey...it proved that the controller works.

So, yeah, the controller was my latest acquisition. It popped up for sale just after I bought my donor car. I'm pleased with my purchase and the price, and it's versatility(Voltage range, amp range) opens up new options, which I appreciate. The only thing it doesn't do that I was originally hoping for is regen braking, since I have Sep-Ex motors, but I'll just have to live without.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-05-2016), niky (01-06-2016), thingstodo (01-05-2016)