View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Question Opinions?

Looking for opinions/confirmation on my choice between the two motors.

My intended use of the car is my 15 km trip to work every day. For a good 5 minutes of said drive, I'm on the highway. Most of it is flat, but, unfortunately, the last 2km is one long hill, which I estimate at a 5 or 6% gradient. I should be pulling between 22 and 26 kw to climb a 6% gradient at 90 to 100km/hr.

I'm assuming that thanks to this hill, the 8"/larger motor would be the better choice for this project.

On the other hand, Mechman600 was occasionally putting 30kw through the smaller motor, and it doesn't appear to have bothered it much.

The body on the 8" is about 3/4" shorter then the 7", and will just barely fit. (And, as it is, the secondary shaft will be sticking out underneath the frame rail. Hopefully it won't be in the way. Not happy about losing the usefulness of said shaft. I could really use the 4 cylinder mounts and cv shafts!). The 7" could possibly be modified to fit better.

I should probably stick to the 8" until I come up with a better use for it. Wouldn't be hard to pull it out again...

Someone confirm my assumption that I should be using the 8", so I can stop wondering if I'm over-doing it!