View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bill the Engineer
Master EcoModder

Time for a quick review:

I first bought the Firebird in July 1979 just after having graduated from college with my engineering degree. My late Dad found it for me, and my grandfather floated me the $750.00 for it until I could get a loan to pay him back. From the start, the Firebird was my second car used mostly for fun on the weekends.

Over the years I made many memories in it, including dating my future wife.

It fell out of use after having moved from state to state twice. With 167,000 miles on it, it was pretty tired.

Eventually things started to break down. One day when I tried to start it the front wiring harness fried. (You are not supposed to let the smoke out!)

Then another move to another state caused me to put the car in storage for a while. As it sat waiting for me to work on it, mice took up residence and caused vast amounts of destruction before I could finally eliminate them (with the willing help of the family cats.)

I tried twice to begin a regular restoration of the Firebird, but each time I hit major roadblocks. Rotted floor pans, broken suspension parts, rusted and seized engine and other mechanical parts. Basically it was a mess.

I finally got discouraged over the amount of work that it would take to bring the Firebird back to life.

Then one night my wife mentioned off-the-cuff that it was a shame that I couldn't just make it a hybrid like our two daily driver Prii. (Plural of Prius.) Her comment sparked my imagination, and I began to compare the dimensions of the Firebird versus the available hybrids on the market...

(More later...)

Bill the Engineer

Last edited by Bill the Engineer; 04-07-2018 at 10:59 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2020), BamZipPow (03-04-2016), darcane (02-10-2016), mcrews (02-10-2016), MetroMPG (02-09-2016), RedDevil (02-10-2016), Xist (02-10-2016)