View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
Andrei_ierdnA
EcoModding Lurker

SmurFITte - '13 Honda Fit LX
90 day: 38.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
My guess is your step dad didn't completely top off the tank. Nice of him to help out, but that's going to mess with your numbers.

I guess the best thing to do faced with the 'problem' of someone putting fuel in is to immediately make sure it's topped right up and start fresh.
He's told me in the past that apparently you need to top off until the pump goes 'CLUNK' 3 times, which I don't get the logic behind. He couldn't explain it either, but he's a car sales-man so "he knows cars".
I always top off until the first 'CLUNK' of the pump. And then I even go as far as moving the hose to drip off all fuel that was stuck in the bottom part of the hose and turn the pump handle upside-down to get even the last drops.
Anyways you made a great point, I have not clue what he did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
It just doesn't like bad record keeping.
You are 100% right. I've checked the online dashboard from my insurance company since I have the telematics device for 6 months and noticed my step dad took my car for a 10 km spin around town. I don't know when he filled up the tank, and I only reset the trip computer when I got in the car later, so that's definitely bad record keeping.

Thanks guys for helping me figure this one out.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 02-14-2016 at 06:01 PM..