View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
First understand my words are NOT agenda driven.

YOU will not see 500k miles on any electric car, without SEVERAL battery replacements.

YOU might see 500k miles on a Mirage and I have seen over 50 mpg on round trips of less than 6 miles, without any multi 1000 dollar battery replacements, which is what you have done with one of your cars (500k miles).

The TCO scale depends on fuel cost. From your posts I think you will get the Leaf and the 10 miles each way drive will not give you any problems unless the battery is on it's last leg.

In my observation the key factor is the wifes "no highway" restriction which tips the scales in favor of the Leaf.

In Virginia you can drive an antique car 250 miles for your home, registration is permanent (no tag renewal) and insurance is very cheap. It might be an alternative for your longer drives, or a towed charger. Also as more and more electrics get on the road, charging stations will become more available.

Good luck regardless of your decision, if it was my decision I would get the Leaf, but it would be with the understanding that at 10/100 miles it will probably cost as much as the car is worth for a battery replacement.

regards
mech
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
darcane (03-08-2016), Isaac Zackary (03-06-2016), Xist (03-08-2016)