View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #2735 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
An update for April 11

I used a portion of my pack that was not used before - the bottom 1/3 of the pack at 128V.

I experienced the same problem that I remember from my last posting. The DC motor is sped up, then the AC motor regen slows it down. I can work this up to about 150 amps AC, maybe 200 amps AC. Then the system seems to lose power and the AC regen stops the DC motor.

The next trial, I tripped the 80A DC breaker from the battery pack to the common bus between the DC motor controller and the AC motor controller

I guessed that the voltage might be a problem for control ... so I stopped using the 128V pack and began using batteries 1 - 9, the 72V part of the top 1/3 of my pack - for reasons of other testing this section of the pack has a higher voltage than the other cells 10 - 16.

Each test after this ended in the 80A DC breaker tripping. So my next test will be done with only the 300A fuse as protection. The 80A breaker will be replaced with a GIGAVAC contactor, a 12V battery and a switch.

Files attached. I'm working on the video .. it goes slowly ... too much video, with a lot of talking and not much happening.

I believe that I will go back to the 128V pack, reduce the battery current a bit, and keep the motor in the 2000 - 3000 rpm range so that the AC can capture a decent amount of the energy pushed into the DC motor.
Attached Files
File Type: zip apr11_logs.zip (82.4 KB, 22 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (04-14-2016)