View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #102 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

Finally stuffed that motor mount in this morning. Finished it up a good week ago...think I was dreading it not working out or some such.

It was originally intended on having a flat plate at the mount end, and bolting up to the stock motor mount the same way it would on the ICE, but when mucking around to fit, i noticed it lined up very well this way, so I went with it.

Ain't pretty, but it's very functional. I have easy access to the shaft. The front, side, back and bottom have completely clear access to the shaft, it's only the top that has anything in the way...and it's pretty open, as you can see.

The "plate" that bolts to the motor is an 8" square made out of 2" flat bar, and the three horizontal chunks are 1x2". It's pretty solid, in spite of only being attached to the top 2" of said square. Tested my welds when it was done, with a big hammer...

I'm glad it's in, and hopefully I don't have to pull any of it out again. I fired up the motor to test it, as I thought it was terribly loud inside the cabin last time I tested it, but either the strap holding it up was transmitting the noise, or else it was the sound of the slightly rusty brake rotors scraping against the brake pads, as in neutral it was nice and quiet.

Now I can start in on things I'm more interested in...the electrical side of things. Maybe I'll run jumper cables inside and take it for a spin down the driveway for ****s and giggles.