View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
2000 Insight 5 speed repair & build thread

The day has finally come and I now own a Honda Insight! I've been looking for one of these cars to find its way home with me for a few years now and I finally nabbed one last night. It is a 2000 5 speed with 135k miles on it. Overall condition of the car is pretty good considering its 16 years old. I'll be going through it thoroughly to find and fix things that need fixing. Thankfully, I think the list is on the shorter side than some of the others I've seen.

The biggest issue I currently have is there is a pretty bad shudder when the engine is under a good load. Its not completely smooth under lean burn either, but a lot smoother. I assume this is an EGR issue and the valve and/or plate or passages need cleaning. This made for an interesting 75 mile trip home on the interstate, but I still managed a very respectable 63 mpg on the way home with most of the trip at 65-70 mph! Very impressive. My wife drove our Prius home behind me and averaged low 50s.

The IMA pack seems weak, but there is no IMA light. There wasn't an engine light either until a cop stopped me on the way home for not having plates on it. After an explanation that I just bought it, showing him the title and bill of sale, I was on my way again. However, upon my briskly accelerating back up to freeway speeds, I got a CEL to pop on it and my pack charge indicator went down to only a few bars. I'm hoping a good charge and discharge cycle or two will get me back in shape. So, I'll be looking to build one of those.

Other than that, its got RE92s on all corners. Two look newer than the other two. I'm not sure if I'm missing any aero panels under the car. Both rear skirts are there, but the passenger one has a chunk out of the rear corner. Ah yes, and it came with a spare starter, and a full service manual with mechanical and electrical books.

I can't wait to get it on the road and start playing with it!

==========================

For a list of modifications and links to them, see my Garage entry for the Insight.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insight.jpg
Views:	1775
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	20027  
aerohead (11-12-2016), BamZipPow (05-17-2017), HyperMileQC (01-25-2017), MetroMPG (05-05-2016), pgfpro (05-07-2016), The donkey CRX (05-05-2016), Xist (05-05-2016)