Thread: 2001 Insight
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post

Minor modifications to this panel. I did a 900 mile drive, at the end it was a little wonky so I made some changes.

You can see at the front of the panel (bottom) I put a notch where a bolt is sticking up. There's also a hole drilled to the right where another such bolt is, I just couldn't cut that part because the reverse has the sheet metal right there. Also, I chopped a new notch on the left and right out of the diagonal corner areas. That's to avoid it getting pinched on the lower control arm bracket.

You can also see at the back (top) the holes where I put the screws. Keep in mind this is lying upside down, the passenger side is on the right and the driver side is on the left. The other dots in two lines are rivets for the sheet metal.

It fits pretty well now. You can also see I used some metal wire to tie it to the exhaust pipe just before the lower cat. This is to make sure it won't sag, similar to what I did in the back.
I think this covers the gap between the original front aero panel set, and the twin plastic panels that run on either side of the exhaust system? Correct? I've been wanting to build a panel to do that - thanks for sharing yours.

My car's cross bar - at the forward edge of this panel you installed - has four screws that hold the original panels in place. I thought I'd attach my new mid-panel using those screws. Mine is a 2000, it might be a bit different from your 2001. My threaded tubes for the screws were pretty well shot, screws would never tighten up. I put in longer screws and a nut at the top of the tube, now they hold just fine.