View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Ecomodding my winter beater: a unicorn no-rust (*) 2000 Chevrolet Metro 1.0 5-spd

Just sold the Prius, and look at the unicorn that popped up in my email alerts!

Only 100k kms / 60k miles. 5-speed. [EDIT/CORRECTION: Ad was wrong! It's got 210k kms / 131k mi!)

No rust? Really?

Importantly: owned by a retiree in Montreal who spends winters in Florida, who says the car has therefore only been subjected to a few salty, slushy winters. Plus he says it has had multiple rust-proofing treatments.

Engine?

They don't say whether it's the 3 or 4-cylinder car though. I'm guessing it's the 4 because it's got "uplevel" stuff on it like a rear wiper, body side mouldings and cargo cover. But even with the giant, fuel-guzzling 1.3L instead of the 1.0L, I'd still consider it. [UPDATE: it's the triple.]

Asking $1500

But "a little bit negotiable".

I've been on the look-out for a doppelganger of the Firefly for a few years now. It'd be nice to have another working set of everything in the form of a functional winter beater, because parts are only going to get harder to find -- with 40k kms on it, I'll probably own the Firefly forever (or at least until interal combustion cars are outlawed).

I've left email and voice messages. If it hasn't sold already, I'll go see it today. A chance to utiliser mon francais.

---

The last one of these low-miles unicorns that I saw had an asking price of $3500: 1999 Chevrolet Geo Metro, 1.0/5-spd, 80k km (50k mi), no rust survivor. Oshawa, ON

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_27.JPG
Views:	2010
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	20285  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget