View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Yep, that's the one.

I find it exceedingly easy to predict the next crash. There is something lacking in Rushin DNA that makes them unable to have any lane discipline whatsoever- reminds me of herding cats- not that there are any lane markings anyway.

The Number 1 thing that bites 'em in the arse is the notion that someone ahead of them might make a left turn. Imagine that! Well, you and I can but they can't and it's a regular staple of Rushin crashes for someone turning left to get smashed from behind, not by the vehicle(s) right behind them but from the ahoal that's attempting to fly by them all.

The second most remarkable thing they do is cross the center line. Once in a while they screw up and cross the center line and relatively harmlessly go in the ditch. But to really score points one must always strive to hit a semi head-on. And by golly they are good at it!

No matter how bad the conditions or how fast the big truck, it isn't fast enough for any Rushin motorist that's behind it and IT MUST BE PASSED AT ALL COSTS. That could mean passing on the right, on the shoulder, but mostly it means jumping out into the passing (oncoming) lane whether or not oncoming traffic is present. Just think of all the time saved when one or more of your car's wheels gets home before you do.

As a corollary to that- I mean, in the passing scenarios and also at intersections, or really anywhere two vehicles are on intersecting trajectories, one or both of the "drivers" (I have to use that term loosely) MUST steer not to where the other vehicle has been, but to where it is headed. How else are ya gonna hit it?

P.S. And the corollary to that is, when confronted with having to make a choice in an avoidance maneuver, ALWAYS choose to steer into oncoming traffic vs a ditch, sidewalk, field, or some stationary object. In this way the physics of mass and velocity are maximized to everyone's benefit when the collision occurs.

And then there are the pedestrians! Most of them have no sense of self-preservation whatsoever. And those pedestrian crossings over roads and highways never fail to take motorists by surprise, resulting in some fascinating braking/sliding/crashing antics.

Oh yeah, that reminds me: They must make their tires out of grease, or maybe the roads, or both. How else do you completely lose control and slide comically long distances at moderate speeds? Moderate being anything less than 140 mph, which they seem to like to cruise at during blizzards and through towns and neighborhoods.

When I watch those vids I always think, "See, this is why you can't have nice things." But on the other hand, the entire national fleet must be replaced every three years at the rate they total their vehicles.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 07-22-2016 at 12:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (02-17-2017)