View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Are you thanking me for posting less than normal? I hardly wrote anything! Is that what you like about it?

So there I was, waking up in a strange place, wearing strange clothes, with the title and registration of a strange car. It's not the first time. I really get around.

Hail Gallaxhar!

The best I can figure, my brother-in-law bought a Mercedes or BMW, I never care to keep them straight, his wife now drives their 2006 Acura, and since my sister loathes and despises me having something I like, that saves me money, she decided to save me from happiness and financial security:

Quote:
Since you are such a swell guy, I talked [Sister-in-law] into selling you her late 90's 4 door Honda Accord for dirt cheep but not until September so you'll have plenty of time to say goodbye to your current car.
Do you think you'd be interested? It's been very well taken care of and still looks pretty good
She thinks my Civic is going anywhere?! Hilarious!

I bought the Accord without even looking at it in daylight or touching it, but for $250...

I had wanted to post this with actual pictures of the car, but those still need to wait. The car looked fantastic at night and when I finally drove it--home--it ran well. KBB says it is worth $606 for a trade-in and $1,770 to a private party. It has 41,000 miles fewer than Chorizo, which Kelley values at $1,288.

All of the lights, windows, and doors work. There is a crack in the middle of the windshield going straight up and down. The fan buzzed on three and buzzed very loudly on four, so I removed leaves. I thought the engine bay looked dirty, so I started cleaning it. The oil looked clean, but was a quart low. I was surprised how large the oil puddle was for only sitting twelve hours. It also seemed unusually thick. The rest of the fluids looked fine. The tires were only at 22-25 PSI, so I pumped them up to forty. Sidewall max is forty, but that was already about 65 pumps each on my bike pump. Good enough for now! There are some scratches and one spot of rust. The passenger side of the front bumper is scraped up, the fender is a little dented, and it is attached with wire.

That same part was loose on my Civic on the driver's side. I put a nut, bolt, and would you believe, a fender washer on it and it was good to go.

My immediate plans are to get a parking permit, ask a neighbor if they mind me parking in front of their house because there is not room in front of mine, and only driving it to that one sister's house. Regardless of what may happen, I should still be able to recover what I paid for the car and then some, but everything I have found so far looks like an easy fix.

My other sister visits regularly from California and she said she would pay the insurance if she could borrow it when she is in town. It turns out I was paying for things I did not need, like accident forgiveness. Seriously? I got rid of all of that and rental car reimbursement and am paying $10 a month more than I had been for the Civic alone. I do not have many pictures so far, but I was trying to work on the car, not take selfies.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine bay dirtier 1.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	20487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine bay cleaner 1.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	20488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaves 1.jpg
Views:	1381