View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
Well sleep is not forthcoming...so
Future plans are...
After the dust settles from DARCO. I'll be working on more aero modds the goal is 40mpg before messing with the factory sealed Injection pump ( this is a fully macanical diesel)
I may try to put a 12^cm wastegated exhaust housing on my H1C turbo-charger from a HX35 . Stock was 21^cm when I rebuilt the H1C(at about 250,000miat 280,095now) I added a 16^cm housing +exhaust wrap on manifold/ turbo as well as a turbo blanket. The 16and wrap improved efficiency of the motor as it took 100°f less waste heat to spool any given psi.(100°f drop across the boord. Aka 600°f =1psi stock 500° f =1psi modded ect ect)
---
I have some led trailer lights so maby a tail cone to accentuate the Aero Tonto cover.
-----
I am 6'3" tall so my head is just below the roof , my line of sight is in the upper 1/3 of the wind screen . This was a problem with my 79 Chevrolet pu 4x4 back just after high school. Back then I was told that I was crazy as a bed bug in the psych word for wanting to do a hood blister like Aerohead has on the t-100. The biggest hold back is my truck has an almost perfect body(less the shi♧„stock paint falling off paint, bad primer requires stripping to bair metal to fix) and that makes it difficult to cut into this 25year old ultra clean rig.

Stock CDa is estimated at .45-.55
Aero Tonto cover =estimate/ prediction .203-.253 =57% reduction

My goal of 40mpg is 31%above my current max of 29.3 this will take some time and looking outside the box. As with my Tonto. (Witch has miles of improvements available some compromise. Form over function.
---
I'll try pulling the Headache rack , sliding the AeroTonto up to the cab . For the trip home.
This will have several effects.
1 close the cab cover gap .
2 remove of the horns .(ladder rack).
3 smooth the transition from cab to cap.
4 delete the opening ability (making it like the other fixed position caps.)
Wind providing the taire down should take 10min (I'll time ) and reattachment of the floating cap (with some ingenuity) up to 1/2 hr.

--- ive had the rear closing attachment come undone at 60mph ... yikes... this was before the lift struts . It lifted aproxamitly 9-15" above the tailgate... Indicating the angle may be too steep (DARCO will anwser) there is definitely lift .(as apposed to down force).
---
I need to redesign the hinges, to include a retainer/safty cetch . On bad roads, aka dirt roads with washboard. The front slid over off the hinges...yikes ... the wight part was only attached at the rear by 1 ratchet strap . The front dropped down about 6"and rested.this has happened 3 times in 30,000mi once at70mph and 2 on dirt roads at 35-40mph (As aposed to catastrophic lifting and by by) the redesign will include an alignment guild for the hinges to make installation less problematic in windy conditions.
Well 4:00am a nother try at sleep.
Dreem big chisel down to reality.
Gumby,not to drop a bomb,but I've re-scheduled the DARKO test session for one week later,Sept. 16th,at 1:00 PM.
I just got to thinking that I was cutting things to close.I didn't get to sleep until after 5:00 AM this morning (a new record).
I hope this doesn't wreck you and your friends schedules.
I'll be fabricating up to the departure date 'n hopefully have something significant to share.
Hope you can still make it.